With more than 6,000,000 people across Australia volunteering their time to improve the well-being of others, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award – Australia is proud to contribute to this figure with up to 80,000 adult volunteers and 35,000 young participants nationally volunteering their time.
Today marks the first day of National Volunteer Week 2015 – the largest celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in Australia – and we would like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to everyone that has given back through their involvement in the Award.
The young participants of The Duke of Ed Award contribute to the well-being of others by their involvement in volunteering. Structured as part of the Award, this Service component encourages the discipline and routine of volunteering with the aim of creating a lifelong habit of community involvement and voluntary service. Throughout The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award’s program, one participant alone will spend a minimum of 65 hours volunteering with Bronze Awardees contributing at least 13 hours (one hour over 13 weeks) and Gold Awardees expected to deliver 52 hours of volunteer time.
- Read the full Media Release here: NVW 2015: Media Release - The Duke of Edinburgh's international Award - Australia
At our organisation in Victoria, 3439 young people volunteered their time last year contributing to a total of approximately 53, 584 hours spent giving back through the Award. You can read some of their inspirational stories here:
Want to get involved in National Volunteer Week?
We are encouraging you to share “why giving back matters” on your Instagram to go in the draw to win a double movie pass!
- Follow us on Instagram: @dukeofedvic
- Post a photo of you ‘giving back’ (this could be from your Duke of Ed Service activity!)
- In the caption write ‘why giving back matters’ (in approx 25 – 50 words)
- Tag #DukesGiveBack
- If you don’t use Instagram and would like to participate, email your photo and caption directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to share your photo before midnight on Sun 17th May so you’re eligible to go in the draw to win!